Judge refuses bail for third man charged over ‘vicious’ attack on gardaí in Ballyfermot

Judge refuses bail for third man charged over ‘vicious’ attack on gardaí in Ballyfermot

A third man charged with violent disorder and “viciously” assaulting two gardaí in Ballyfermot in Dublin has been refused bail.

A male and female officer were hospitalised after responding to a public order incident outside a pub on Ballyfermot Road in the early hours of Monday. Video footage of the incident was widely shared on social media. Gardaí arrested three men and one woman during the investigation.

Jonathan Dolan, 46, formerly of Colepark Green, Ballyfermot, and lately residing in a hostel at Manor Street, Dublin 7, faced objections to bail due to the seriousness of the case and fears he would not turn up for his trial.

He appeared before Judge Paula Murphy at Dublin District Court on Wednesday. The unemployed father of one is accused of assaulting the two officers and engaging in violent disorder during the incident.

Garda Grace Lumsden said Mr Dolan “made no reply” to the charges. She told the court the incident was life-altering for the two officers who had been dealing with a public order incident when they were “repeatedly assaulted by a group of four people”.

She said the incident was captured on CCTV, alleging the accused was caught red-handed.

In her cross-examination by defence solicitor Tony Collier, it emerged that Mr Dolan was arrested at his previous address. He used to live there with his partner until they broke up during the Covid pandemic, and he moved into homeless hostel accommodation.

Garda Lumsden agreed with Mr Collier that following his arrest, Mr Dolan had to be taken from Clondalkin garda station to hospital because he had a broken knuckle. The defendant’s left hand was placed in a cast, and he was then brought back to the station, where he was charged just after 6pm on Tuesday.

Questioned about the description of the incident as life-altering, Garda Lumsden said both officers were “viciously assaulted”. They were released from hospital on Tuesday, but it was unknown when they would return to work. “In that sense, it was life-altering,” Garda Lumsden said.

She said a fil

Read More

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.