Galway hit-and-run victim ‘lucky to be alive’ as sister says he was ‘left in garden all night’ before being found

Galway hit-and-run victim ‘lucky to be alive’ as sister says he was ‘left in garden all night’ before being found

The victim of a hit-and-run in Galway was left on the road all night before being found.

Venancio Sousa was struck by a car on Sunday evening in a hit and run that saw him left alone overnight with serious injuries and a GoFundMe has since been set up for him by his sister Mariana.

Mariana, who has travelled from London to Galway to see her brother, has spoken of the trauma of the last few days since finding out about the hit and run.

According to Mariana, the car that hit Venancio had failed to stop and it was only until the next morning that an ambulance was called to the scene.

The ambulance was called to the scene in Furbo by the owners of a nearby house who found Venancio at around 11:30am on Monday morning.

Mariana told Galway Beo : “I speak with my brother every day.

“The last time I spoke to him at 5pm on Sunday, he was just having some drinks with his friends and was heating up his dinner in the oven.”

Venancio went out later that evening to the nearby petrol station, but never returned.

Mariana continued: “On the Monday morning at about 10pm I just got the call from his friends asking if I knew anything about where he was and I said I didn’t.

“They just said he disappeared, he left for the petrol station the night before and hadn’t come back.

Venancio Sousa

Venancio Sousa

“It was a big shock for me, I was just panicking because I didn’t know what to do.

“It was midday, so when his friends said they’d look for him, that was when they saw police cars and ambulance near where they lived.

“So he was abandoned there all night in that condition.”

She was then told by Garda officers that her brother was most likely hit by a car, but had it confirmed yesterday (October 26).

Mariana, who lives in Portugal with her family, arrived here yesterday and says she never envisioned having to book flights to Ireland for such a devastating reason.

She has since been able to visit Venancio at University Hospital Galway where he was taken after the collision.

She said: “He’s very sick in hospital, in intensive care.

“I cannot believe it, I’m still in shock.

“The hospital say the next few days are critical.

“They say it was a miracle, that they are very surprised he’s still alive.”

Read More

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.