A motorist was unsuccessful in his appeal to the High Court to be released on bail in a case where it is alleged that he failed to stop for gardaí and drove against one-way traffic in the Jack Lynch Tunnel.
Tony Caulfield is accused of 21 counts of dangerous driving and one count of endangerment where he allegedly created a substantial risk of death or serious injury to other road users.
Tony Caulfield, 28, of 221 Cathedral Road, Cork, appeared at Cork District Court by video link from prison on the charges.
Sergeant Gearóid Davis asked for the case to be adjourned to allow time for preparation and service of a book of evidence. Judge Olann Kelleher remanded the accused in custody until December 20 for that purpose.
Garda Eoghan O’Callaghan said when he first charged Caulfield, the defendant had no reply to the total of 23 counts – 21 dangerous driving charges, one of endangerment and one of allegedly driving without insurance.
Defence solicitor, Frank Buttimer, stressed in the original bail application that the alleged offences dated back to February 25, 2021, and that the accused had been available to gardaí to be arrested and charged before now. Mr Buttimer confirmed that Caulfield’s High Court application for bail was unsuccessful.
Objection to bail
Garda O’Callaghan said one of the grounds for the objection to bail was the seriousness of the alleged offences on February 25.
It was alleged gardaí in Ballincollig signalled for a Toyota